Thursday, February 17, 2005

Books

I just finished listening to Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. The only thing I didn't like about it was the bad language. The CD I have has a post-script by Mr. Card at the end. He says he went through and took out all the bad language in the book because he didn't want kids learning bad language from him. I guess he and I have a different definition of what we consider bad language :-) The worst word I didn't appreciate was bas****. I guess if I was reading this out loud to my kids, I would substitute for the words I consider to be inappropriate.

Other than the language, I loved Ender's Game! I have always liked most science fiction, although I do not read it often. I plan to read the other books in the Ender series, but I've already got a crate of books from the library, and I'll have to read the others by eye rather than listening, as my library doesn't have the unabridged audiobooks. I guess I'll find the time eventually.

I still haven't cut out sugar, and I feel like my brain is in a fog. I planned to record the insights I had from Ender's Game in this post, but nothing is really coming to me. This is one reason I'd like to buy books and read them (instead of listen). It's much easier to underline, record thoughts, re-read paragraphs, go back to past parts, etc.

No comments: