Friday, May 16, 2008

Cheater Green Smoothie

I made a green smoothie last night that was so delicious, you would literally not know it had greens in it. Therefore, I call it the 'Cheater Green Smoothie' because it tastes fruity and sweet, with no bitter aftertaste or any type of bad taste that anyone might associate with greens.

The full recipe is proprietary (see GreenSmoothieGirl.com and her store), but I'll tell you the basics of what I used:

water
agave nectar
lemon with peel
flax seed oil
spinach, chard, and kale
avocado
bananas
frozen peaches
pear

I am still a little light on the greens; I could increase the proportion of greens a lot more. I noticed some, um, digestive disturbances when I went all-out with the greens, so I've cut back on them for now. I need to get a kitchen scale to get a better idea of the true amount I'm using on a weight basis.

Anyway, the smoothie was absolutely fabulous, and incredibly smooth - almost silky, like pudding. I used a VitaMix to blend it; I'm not sure if I'd have gotten the same result using my Bosch blender. Perhaps I'll make the same thing again tonight using the Bosch to test.

Robyn shows how to make her basic smoothie here. You can vary the types of greens and fruit however you want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this! I could use more 'green' in my diet.

Tammie said...

Hey Katie, I happened by here from green smoothie girls blog. I WAS addicted to sugar for years and years. I think you can have your cake and eat it to you just have to "healthify" it! I have learned to really love sweets made without refined sweeteners. The cool thing is they are not addicting like sugar and I don't have near the cravings I used to. I don't overdo either like I used to I'm satisfied with much less. It's WONDERFUL!

By the way that green smoothie sounds yummy!