Friday, May 09, 2008

Fabulous Beginner Green Smoothie

I've toyed with the idea of drinking green smoothies in the past, but never stuck with it. I recently stumbled across Robyn's Green Smoothie Girl website, and she got me all fired up for green smoothies again. The last few days I've been stuffing mine full of spinach, collards, and kale, but I decided to scale back a little bit today and work up to that many greens at once. This was today's smoothie, and it was fantastic:

start with 1 C cold water
add 1 handful spinach and 1/2 leaf collard greens (no stem)
blend until smooth
add 1-1/2 C fresh pineapple with all the juice from when you cut the pineapple up
add 1 pear, with skin (I removed the seeds)
add a tiny squirt of agave nectar (I'm sure it was less than a tablespoon)
drizzle in melted coconut oil as the blender is going (I used several tablespoons)

It was delicious! It's heavy on fruit, but it's a great way to get started on green smoothies. You can work your way up to more green-intensive recipes.

I also added a raw egg to mine, but most people probably aren't going to go for that ;-)

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh I love GSG!!!

That sounds yummy!

I have considered adding raw egg, especially to Mable's. Good to know it was still good like that.

Katie said...

I didn't notice any difference with the egg, but I should add a disclaimer that I'm very used to raw eggs. I haven't been able to make myself eat them plain, but I eat them in lots of other stuff - smoothies, oatmeal, dough/batter, etc. I've read that the protein is very delicate, and that blending it damages it badly. I always blend it anyway, but I do it right at the end. If you do it too early, you'll end up with a very airy/foamy smoothie!

Today I beat the egg a few times with a fork and then stirred it in by hand.

Katie said...

Another disclaimer for people who aren't familiar with raw egg rules -
I get my eggs from a local guy, and they are certified organic. The chickens do live in an enclosure, but they have FAR more room than factory-farmed chickens. The risk of salmonella is small regardless of where you get your eggs, but it's even smaller if they come from healthy, organic, free-range chickens.