Thursday, November 02, 2006

Escape

I received this quote in my email the other day:
"Have you noticed how Satan works to capture the mind and emotions with flashing images, blaring music, and the stimulation of every physical sense to excess? He diligently strives to fill life with action, entertainment, and stimulation so that one cannot ponder the consequences of his tempting invitations."
(Richard G. Scott, "How to Live Well Amid Increasing Evil," Ensign, May 2004, 102)"

I think that many people use music as a way to 'not feel'. If you're tired of feeling your feelings and thinking your thoughts, you can just stick those iPod earbuds in, and everything just goes away.

All music is not bad. Obviously there is very much good music in the world. Beautiful music can be soothing and uplifting to our souls. It can help us feel the spirit at times when it is difficult for us to do so. It becomes harmful when we are listening to it loudly and constantly and using it to escape.

My religion preaches that nearly all decisions either bring you closer to Satan or closer to God. Now it's easy for me to see now how something as innocent as music can be used to accomplish either. Please don't think I'm saying I'm perfect. I still listen to 'blaring' music at times and use it to escape too! I'll share my playlist in a future post.

No comments: