Saturday, November 04, 2006

Steve & Terri

This is the most hilarious video I've ever seen! I originally saw it at SmockLady, but you can see it bigger if you go directly to YouTube. You have to have your sound on when you watch it. In case you didn't go watch it yet, it's Steve Iwrin (the Crococile Hunter) with Ross the Intern. I have never heard of Ross the Intern before this video, but apparently he's on the Tonight Show. I laughed out loud watching this! I usually smile at funny things, but this was hilarious. Of course you probably have to be a Steve Irwin fan to appreciate it.

It really hit me hard when Steve Irwin died. I don't know the right words to describe how I felt - devastated, upset, shocked. I just couldn't believe it was real. Even now, when I think of his death, I think "yeah right, like that could happen". I watched every YouTube or Google Video memorial or interview I could find and even cried some (maybe a lot). I've listened to John Williamson's "True Blue" over and over. It's amazing that it's been around so long - it seems to be written just for Steve.

I felt really silly, because it's not like I knew Steve. I'm generally not celebrity-obsessed. I think it hit me so hard because of Terri, Bindi, & Bob. Since having children, I'm approximately 1,000 times more emotional than I was before. I would've been sad about Steve no matter what, but the thoughts of what his wife and children are going through are what get me the most. He loved Terri and the kids more than life itself and appeared to be the ideal father. They have lost so much.

When I was in high school (1996-1999), I watched Animal Planet frequently, and I loved the Crocodile Hunter show. The first year or two of college I didn't have much time for TV. After we got married, we threw our TV out. So I haven't really seen Steve on TV since 1999 or so. But I always liked him. I still can't believe he's gone. I've read about all the controversies, and I know what has been said about him. But I think he was for real. Maybe he was a tiny bit more of a showman on the camera than he was off, but I think his passion and love for animals was 100% real. I think he absolutely accomplished his goal of helping the public love wild animals.

Even more than Steve, I really look up to Terri Irwin. She is such a great woman and role model. She is beautiful and feminine in her own way. I am a long hair admirer, so I love that she's always kept her long hair. I love the way she supported and loved Steve. She has great strength and intelligence, and great faith. I love that she's a celebrity with a normal body. She doesn't play into the sterotypes.

In her interviews with Barbara Walters and Ray Martin, Terri told stories of Steve playing with the children and messing up the sheets on the bed. Every time, Terri would patiently replace them. She seems to really know what is important and she knows how to appreciate the little things in life. I really look up to Terri - she's a great role model for girls and women, really for everyone.

1 comment:

Mrs. Chili said...

I JUST saw that video today - courtesy of verycontrary.blogspot.com. I LOVED it.

I hadn't heard of Ross the Intern before, either, but he's a screaming riot. I particularly loved it when Irwin called him "sweetheart." Too. Flipping. Funny