Monday, November 13, 2006

Extreme Fashion

I freely acknowledge my lack of fashion sense. I would classify my style as somewhere between "80-year old librarian" and "90-year old grandma". I'd like to improve to at least "60-year old hippie". I've documented the carnage with poor photography* over the past few weeks:

The Pants of Extreme Shortness and Ill-Fittingness

I usually wear these with Sketchers lace-up shoes. At least I had the presence of mind to wear them with different shoes this time.

The Most Decent Outfit I Own

I got this skirt at Old Navy in approximately 1998. It was looser then :-)

Knit T-Shirt with Dress Pants

This might look OK if I tailored the shirt a bit. But then I won't be able to wear it if I get pregnant! (by which I mean this shirt looks like a maternity shirt). These are the highest heels I've had since 1999. They kill my feet. I have to take them off when I sit down.

Grandma Sweater with Biker Boots

These are my Jedi boots. I don't know what possessed me to wear them with this dress. I wear this sweater nearly every day - whenever I get cold at work. When I worked in Houston, my office was like a freezer, so I literally wore it EVERY single day. EXTREME fashion, I'm telling you!

Hand-Me-Downs

My sister gave me these Victoria's Secret jeans several years ago. They were also MUCH looser then! You can tell they are old because they are not super-low-rise. I got this shirt from the D.I. (thrift store). I neglected to try it on first, or else I would have realized it was too tight for my super-conservative modesty standards. Yes, I know I'm weird. I won't wear this out of the house unless it's under another t-shirt.

Normal Dress

This dress isn't too bad. I have another one just like it but it's blue/white and has buttons all the way down the front. I stole both from my sister. She doesn't know I have them yet. I wear each one once a week because they are rayon so they don't fade and don't wrinkle. I like dresses, and even more, I like dresses that require no ironing or complicated care.

Evening Wear

I really did wear this outfit outside the house, but not to work. For work I had on a white t-shirt and black shoes. I switched shirts after I got home so the kids wouldn't stain the white shirt. I got these sandals before Crocs got popular. They're made out of the Croc foam and are pretty comfy. My sister gave me this skirt before I left for college in 1999.

*My camera is pretty decent if it has enough light.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the 90's I used to wear combat boots with shorter dresses and it drove my grandmother nuts. But I like your Jedi boots with the dress/grandma sweater. It gives the look your own stamp!

Heidi said...

I see nothing wrong with your clothing... Perhaps because my entire wardrobe comes from the same time periods... ;)

I think my neighbors snicker behind their doors at me. If someone comes to my house without me knowing before-hand (so I can change clothes...) I look like a pioneer. I've made a bunch of cheap cotton skirts with elastic waists that are LONG. Throw on a tee-shirt and Ta-Da!

Okay... I must not have had enough sleep... I'm done with my wardrobe confessions...

Katie said...

Heidi - Keep in mind that I'm an engineer, and I should try to look at least slightly professional! No one at my company wears shirts and ties like in Houston, but still!